Saturday, January 15, 2005

living up to my name?

as an assignment for our community assembly in Ang Ligaya ng Panginoon, we were asked to find the meaning of our names. in biblical times, a person's name was viewed as an equivalent to the person himself. it "defined" who you were; your character, reputation, worth, will and ownership. fair warning for parents-to-be.
i challenged that i was mostly called "ninang."

well, guess what... turns out that "leslie" means "from the garden of holly" or "pool by the garden." my Christian name, which will be unmentioned for now, means "unique, mysterious, and rare." summing it up, mama aly reasons that that explained my playful, kid side. a place (or person) you run to get away and be refreshed (coincidentally, we DO have a pool!). holly, you associate with Christmas -- where ninangs' roles come into play a lot (was i made for Christmas then?). the "unique, mysterious, and rare" part just means na "kakaiba ako!" hahaha!

so i guess, i do live up to my name! add on my surname... now that's a tough call my clan has to live up to, but we do beautifully, if you ask me. all part of God's perfect plan. nothing truly happens by accident. "called by name" now has a new, more endearing meaning to me.

2 comments:

mama_aly said...

Let me define the use of mysterious in your given name: You are not the mystery per se, the mystery is is your multiplicity --- it is amazing that you could easily become all things to all people. One minute, a friend, mother, sister, teacher, etc... (but lets not forget playmate). Add to that fact that you give 100% in everything you do. How you do that is the mystery.

barbiegirl said...

awww... i think that the 100% part IS because we live up to our surname. right, cuz?! it probably would have been the same if we were named "dimaculangan." :)

thanks for the pray over this morning... even if you made me cry. i love being in this family!